3.11.2009

Week 24, Day 2

Yesterday was a pretty busy one.  I spent the night on magnesium, which helped reduce the intensity of the contractions but didn't seem to slow them much.  Around 10am my MFS came in to check on me.  There really wasn't anything else to try except doing a fluid reduction from Baby A's bubble.

They started prepping me for the procedure around noon.  They gave me a medication to help speed up the babies' heart valve development (for the same reason as the steroid shot earlier).  I also got a dose of pain killer and a local numbing agent applied to the injection site.

There are two main concerns when doing a fluid reduction - the bubble bursting or the placenta separating from the uterus wall.  We had neither occur.  Yay!  Everything went really smoothly and about 1 liter of fluid was removed, making Baby A's bubble a normal size.  Both babies are just as squirmy as before and have good heart rates.

For me, the pain killer was really strong, on top of the fuzziness I feel from the magnesium.  I was awake for the procedure but couldn't keep my eyes open.  I felt like I was drunk.  Everything that people said made sense to me but what I tried to say came out kind of garbled.  The first needle was too short but the second needle worked well.  It felt like a normal needle pinch, nothing more.

What's left is a bit of a bruise that I can only feel when I'm moving around.  The contractions dropped off sharply from about 1 every 10min to 1 every 30min-1hr.  The plan as it stands right now is to wean me off the magnesium and back onto the pills I was taking before.  If everything goes well I should be released on Friday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment