6.17.2009

Week 1, Day 6

The boys have been busy since the last post. On Saturday a number of family came over to see them. It's really nice having visitors, especially now that I'm not couch-bound.

Sunday was warm but overcast. My parents wanted to visit the Reedy River Park before they left so we decided to all go. The boys ate just before we left so they slept the entire time. We strolled around and looked at the flowers. My dad brought his bubbles and pretty soon there were kids gathered around him, trying to pop them. We sat in the shade most of the time and watched people swimming in the river. Their first park trip was a good one.



Monday was my OB check-up. There's not much to report except my incision looks good.

Tuesday was the boys' second pediatrician visit. It was nearly identical to the previous one. They checked their weights, eyes, ears, lungs, heart, and tummy. Alex weighed in at 6lb 10oz, a 5oz increase over his birth weight. Zach was a hefty 6lb 6oz, an increase of half a pound over his birth weight. He's fast closing in on Alex, with the difference going from 8oz to only 4!

Alex's umbilical cord is still about half attached. While we were at the doctors, the nurse looked at Alex's stump and decided it needed some treatment because of some oozing. She used a silver nitrate stick to cauterize the wound. Immediately Alex started screaming. I was pretty irritated and picked him up as soon as she was done. She should have asked me if first before causing him pain, or at least warned me so I could try to distract him. I'm not sure that was even a necessary procedure since it still is weeping and looks exactly the same.

After the doctors visit, the four of us went to Publix. The boys were passed out as I strolled them up and down the aisles. Loud noises and the store music didn't even phase them. The only time they reacted was to jump when a lady threw some frozen veggies in her cart with a bang. This was their first trip there and the first time in about 3 months since I'd been there. Needless to say I probably bought too many things.

The boys have been practicing their tummy time during their awake period in the morning. Both can roll from their tummy to their back, although Zach does so with less fussiness. It's really cute watching them work their arms and legs, all the while grunting in mild frustration. Speaking of grunting, during our 6am feed/diaper ritual, Alex grunted so hard while trying to make a dirty diaper that it woke J up. hehe

Zach has become what we call a song bird. When he's trying to go to sleep he'll make very cute little sing-song sounds. He's also generally more vocal than Alex at this point. It's kind of like a coo but with his mouth closed. Alex, on the other hand, seems to love having his face gently stroked, especially his cheeks and chin. He'll close his eyes and sigh in contentment. Neither boys likes their hat and makes a scrunchy face when we adjust them.

I'm able to keep up with their milk needs now, and can even be slightly ahead at times. Right now we have a couple of bottles in the fridge and I need to go pump soon, too. We've stopped charting their eating and diapers since it seems like they're doing really well all on their own in that department. Plus whatever keeps me from doing math at 3am is a good thing. hehe

My mom and dad left this morning to head back to Ohio. My sister will stay with us until about mid-August. We all sat down last night and watched the video J had taken at the hospital. My mom and J both teared up a little when we came to the boys being born. I think during the actual event, J was too busy trying to take everything in to be emotional, but it was sweet to see him be so happy like that.

The boys got J an early Father's Day present - a digital frame for his desk at work. I gathered up pictures from all the different cameras and loaded it with the best shots. They also got my mom a digital photo keychain for helping us out so much. This way she can keep the boys with her wherever she is.

The pictures they had done in the hospital arrived a couple of days ago. Unfortunately neither pose was the one we picked out. One wasn't too bad, so I decided to keep it but the other - Alex looked like he was crying. Who would want that? So I called them company and they've already shipped the correct pose. Hopefully it will be here soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment