7.15.2009

Month 1, Day 11

Well, we survived the Chattanooga trip. In fact, the boys were surprisingly good. Zach slept the whole way there while Alex split his time between a little sleeping and a lot of looking out the window of the minivan. We left home about 10am and made one stop for diaper changes and burping around Atlanta. The boys are big enough to eat while in their carseats so that saved us some time. We got to the hotel around 2:30pm to change into our wedding clothes. Feedings, burpings, and diapers ensued so we didn't make it to the wedding until about 2min before it started. While I was getting ready, one of the boys threw up down J's dress shirt. Luckily you couldn't tell once he put on his tie and jacket.

The wedding was held in the bride's parent's house. It's a really large home that dates to the pre-depression era. They didn't have air conditioning back then, and the one they installed after the fact had a hard time keeping up with so many guests. even the babies were sweating. The boys slept through just about everything, including a baby grand piano playing directly behind us. The boys were quiet except for a little whimper from Zach mid-ceremony that was quickly silenced with a bottle.

J and I held the boys rather than trying to deal with carseats. It worked out ok and would have been better if it wasn't so hot. I felt like I was going to give Alex heat stroke and I don't know how J survived in a full suit the whole time. The babies' little faces were red and everything felt sticky. That didn't seem to slow down their admirers, though! Tons of people made their way over to see them. They get some attention when we're out, but nothing like the ohhs and awws they got there. I'd say they were the next biggest hit behind the bride and groom. It didn't help that they were sleeping with their little angle faces going full force. Unfortunately I left the camera in the car, but I'm hopeful that we'll get to see the pictures the photographers took of them.

We stayed the night in Chattanooga. J and I were wiped out by the time we got back to the hotel. He went and got us some dinner and brought it back to the room. The boys didn't much like the idea of being put down in the pack 'n play so we could eat. I guess they had gotten used to all of the holding. Taking care of them that night was rough since we didn't have the ideal setup like at home. I also didn't get my normal 2-3hr nap, so I was pretty tired. I think I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep, even now.

We left about 11:30am Sunday and headed for Ikea in Atlanta. We got the boys some furniture for their clothes and other items in the living room. I also got the frames I wanted for their monthly pictures. J would watch the boys in their stroller while I'd go around getting the items we needed. I'd look over and see all of these women around him, wanting to know about the babies. Who knew twins could be such a chick magnet? hehe

We got home around 7pm that evening, just in time for the boys to explode in anger at being trapped in their carseats for so long. I went to bed while J and my sister had to deal with the crying monsters the boys had become.

J mentioned to me last night that he thinks the boys are capable of being bored now. It seems like if we have them in one room for most of the day, by evening they are tired of it and want to see something else. Unfortunately their only way of communicating this is by crying. J and my sister have had some rough evenings figuring this out the hard way. Last night I think it was Zach that was bored. On a whim I took him from J and we went to check the mail together. A soon as we went outside, he stopped fussing and stared around in wonder. When we came back in, he started up again so my sister took him to the backyard for some swing time.

It might work out in my favor, though, because I'd like to start taking walks around the neighborhood in the evenings. If that matches up with their need for new scenery, then that's good motivation. J and I put on our Moby wraps Tuesday evening and went for about a 30min walk to the end of our subdivision and back. The boys were passed out but happy as clams.

Their need for holding has been pretty high, too. The Moby wraps (we have 2 now) came in handy. I held Alex while I put their furniture together from Ikea. J held Zach while we worked on my computer, replacing the motherboard. As I'm tying this, Zach is sleeping on me and Alex is passed out on my sister. They wake-up within a few minutes of putting them in the pack 'n play. The swing lasts a little longer but there's only one. We ordered a second one but it won't arrive until early next week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment