3.22.2013

Square Foot Gardening

Last year in NY I had tons of gardening plans. I had prices to rent a tiller, a sunny spot picked out, and a plant list made. Many peas died on our back deck (Oops! They don't like warm weather!). Then we moved back to SC. Everything became too dynamic in my life to even try.

This year I'm going with square foot gardening. It had all if the things I was looking for: small/condensed, easy to setup, simple planting layout, and supposedly good yield. The idea of breaking everything down by grid is right up my alley.

So at this point I've got my frame done, bed filled, and the grid setup. It took two days of shopping and two days of work. I just need to get the seeds planted. I was hoping that would be today but 20 pounds of toddler sleeping on me is saying otherwise.

Our plan of attack is three squares each of Bibb lettuce, peas, carrots, and spinach. There will also be two squares of broccoli and potatoes. Later once the cooler weather plants are done, they'll be replaced with stuff like squash and corn.

I'm hoping the watermelon from last year will volunteer on their own. I left the areas they were in mostly undisturbed.

When I removed the old bed frame it was teeming with termites. Those are not attractive bugs. Naturally, I panicked and sent Jim a dramatic email. Apparently termites are everywhere and unless you want to use some nasty stuff, you just have to accept that they have a job to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment