4.06.2009

Week 28

I went in for my weekly MFS check-up today. My mom is in town for a couple of weeks so she went with me instead of J. I think it's fun to watch the babies on the ultrasound, especially since you can see them move. Both babies had good heartbeats and were squirming around pretty well.

They also had about the same amount of fluid, but according to the doctor, it's now too much on both. He suspects that it's sugar related, either because of my diet or that I've developed gestational diabetes. For the first one, I'm supposed to only eat low sugar foods. My days of bread and pasta are over for a while. Concerning the diabetes, I have to measure my blood sugar for a few days. The results will tell them if that's the case.

If they can't figure out the trigger, a last resort is another amnio fluid reduction. It's the same situation as before where the excess fluid causes contractions. Those contractions will eventually lead to preterm labor. We've seen an increase in contractions on the home monitor over the past week or so. Drinking water only seems to keep me just under the threshold.

I'm kind of feeling neutral on the whole situation. I'm not surprised that something else has popped up. It seems like whenever we get something behind us, there's a new thing to worry about. If I have gestational diabetes, that just means another pill added to the happy herd of them I take daily. My major concern in all of this is that the blood sugar testing was going to hurt. The silver lining is that I'm good at bleeding, so the prick I need is so small I can't even feel it. It's nothing like the thing they jab you with at the doctors.

Another bright side is at this point I've officially started the third trimester. My goal is 10 more weeks of baby growing. There's starting to be a dim light at the end of the tunnel now. At some point the doctors will run out of time to prescribe me new and wonderful diseases. Instead two cute little boys will arrive on the scene. And according to the ultrasound today, they'll both have a good amount of hair. hehe

0 comments:

Post a Comment